Thursday, August 25, 2011

Attenborough on God and Evolution.

Sir David Attenborough says "hi" to an Atlas Moth.
My response is that when Creationists talk about God creating every individual species as a separate act, they always instance hummingbirds, or orchids, sunflowers and beautiful things. But I tend to think instead of a parasitic worm that is boring through the eye of a boy sitting on the bank of a river in West Africa, a worm that's going to make him blind. And I ask them, 'Are you telling me that the God you believe in, who you also say is an all-merciful God, who cares for each one of us individually, are you saying that God created this worm that can live in no other way than in an innocent child's eyeball? Because that doesn't seem to me to coincide with a God who's full of mercy. I feel that the evidence all over the planet clearly shows evolution to be the best way to explain the diversity of life, and as far as I'm concerned, if there is a supreme being, then he chose organic evolution as a way of bringing into existence the natural world. People write to me that evolution is only a theory. Well, it is not a theory. Evolution is as solid a historical fact as you could conceive. Evidence from every quarter. What is a theory is whether natural selection is the mechanism and the only mechanism. That is a theory. But the historical reality that dinosaurs led to birds and mammals produced whales, that's not theory


Indeed, truer words couldn't have been said and I could not agree more with what he says. Consider myself, a nature spiritual. I believe in the processes of nature, the circle of life, the food chain, parasitism, metamorphosis, embryology and paleontology. And I believe them all to be manifestation of the greater spiritual body of the Earth. But that is just my beliefs...Although, if all this talk about evolution, creationism and intelligent design has done anything, it has been to show us that nothing, not ever, could be presuppossed as a universal "truth". There are only, perhaps, multiple truths at any given point in time. The trick is finding the most empirical evidence to support your version of it. Thoughts, anyone? 



Pulling an "Attenborough"

1 comment:

Jothi said...

I have always gone with the theory that life on this planet evolved gradually from the smallest organism. Not from the drawing board of a supreme creator.

There definitely is a spiritual presence, but these forces don't operate in the way most people perceive it to.