Saturday, March 31, 2012

Anthologies of Keric the Arachnid pt. 8 ~ Voyeurism

Anthologies of Keric the Arachnid pt. 8 ~ Voyeurism


Hey ya'll!!!

I really feel like such a Peeping Tom these days, and it really does not have anything to do with my sneaking glances at people in compromising situations (how inappropriate!) but rather my current preoccupation with watching my animals step out (all pink and naked) out of their old skins! As you know, we have been anticipating Keric's molt for quite some time now. As you may have gathered (from some of my latest posts) Keric has been fasting for about two to three weeks now and frankly, I was beginning to get worried! Turns out Keric chose tonight to make the change and it was by a good stroke of luck that I came home in time to witness the process!!! And voyeurism or not, it was definitely worth the wait!!! (I love watching invertebrates molt!! The process of them easing out of their old skins, a metaphor perhaps for a "former life" seems to be to be most fascinating!)







I suppose you can deduce that the process is an extremely interesting one, but also one that was quite slow!!! I had originally thought of filming it and then replaying it in fast-forward but the camera that I used to film the process (while these pictures were being taken with my phone) died halfway and didn't have enough memory space for a high definition video of one hour. Suppose in the future I shall transfer out all of my old pictures and videos before starting. In other news, Keric is doing fine right now and is resting from what I believe must be quite serious exertions (molting doesn't look easy!!!) and spent about an hour in the upside-down position before finally flipping back over. It will now be a week before I start feeding which gives me time to pick up a fresh batch of worms and start power feeding them with a nutritious, well-balanced meal of dried dog food pellets!!! Should be amazing as the benefits of nutrient transfer from such a diet has shown promising results in both my newts and hissing roaches!!! 

Also, and this is the last thing I have to say before signing off, I have set up a trap in the garden, in several "strategic" locations, in an attempt to capture (among other secretive animals in the undergrowth) more woodlice for my personal culture. The toadlets seem to enjoy eating them very much, and the lice themselves did a great favor cleaning up the bedding of the roach tank! Because I have live plants growing in there as well, I suppose those too may benefit from the presence of the crustaceans. Will check the trap and update you guys on the bounty tomorrow. 


In the meantime, hope you all had an awesome and austere Earth Hour, and will soon have, an auspicious and boisterous April Fool's Day. 

Cheers,
Cyren

2 comments:

Brittanie said...

This is fascinating. I've never had the pleasure of seeing anything molt before in person so this was nice to see. Hopefully one day I'll see something like this in person.

I had no idea you could keep spider exuviae (sp?)!! That's awesome!

Cyren said...

The spider is grammostola rosea