Friday, January 6, 2012

To those who wait...

The first time I ever saw the banded swallowtail (Papilio demolion), I didn't even know what it was! Well, of course I knew it was a butterfly, and a swallowtail at that but specifically, I had never before seen nor heard of the species name. Indeed, it was only by chance that I happened to be trekking ahead that day and stopped to pull a leaf out from between my toes that I spotted the beautiful butterfly hovering upon a lantana. Naturally my net came out, but it was too fast for me, and I did not manage to catch it. It wouldn't be until recently about four to five months later that I would come by the butterfly again. They say that good things come to those who wait...

But not always...

Turns out even after months of searching the only specimen I managed to get was this exceptionally old and battered one. But I suppose this just means that the wait hasn't quite ended yet. Meanwhile I am guessing Ray can totally relate to this as I hear his trip to Hong Kong is not quite what he expected it to be... but I guess that's all part and parcel of life. We never quite get what we want, if only so that we will constantly be motivated to try and get more... for what else do we live for if not to fullfill our desires, however intrinsic or extrinsic they may be. Now if you'll excuse me, it's almost 12 and I have to make an international call to wish my beloved Happy Birthday!

cheers, 
Cyren.

No comments: