Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Butterfly Relocation Project

Captive butterflies for breeding purposes
Hey all,

Just want to let you know that I've much to say that has been up on hold because of my thesis work but, let's just say that the end is finally in sight and it is really quite an exhilarating feeling. Meanwhile, I'm currently on a personal project to relocate a certain species of butterfly to another breeding ground as their current one is about to be demolished in a few weeks time. The tawny coster (Acraea terpsicore) butterfly is not one that is especially rare but rather one that is usually found in abundance only in specific areas. Following the destruction of the forested area (where I used to frequent weekly to make my records on local wildlife) many of these butterflies have relocated to a small strip of abandoned land next to the outdoor parking lot of Monash University. With the construction of the new condominiums, the walkway bridge and a connecting highway, though, I fear that many of these butterflies will not make it. Sure enough, some will probably move to other spots to breed, but maybe not in such abundance. Short of raising my fists in opposition to development, I've decided to attempt a species relocation, perhaps somewhere closer to home. I've grown some of the necessary host plants the butterfly requires and will now begin the slow process of transporting live adults and larvae to the area with hopes that they would eventually settle down there. This container is one of such. Meanwhile, I also managed to net a gray albatross (Appias libythea) male specimen to accompany the female I have at home.

Anyway, I must go now, need to send Ray to KL and then get back to editing my conclusion. Till December folks...




Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.

4 comments:

Kaylex (CK) said...

OMG, i love what you are doing.. XD

And the last quote is just so nice.. XD

Nature Rambles said...

How wonderful! I hope many of the eggs/larvae make to the butterfly stage in their new home.

About your question on my blog, the bird was accidentally caught in a rat trap. Those cardboard traps with glue on them. But luckily my help found it. There was a loss of a few feathers but nothing was broken.

Cyren said...

@Kaylex: thanks dear :) I do what I can for Nature's most little and often overlooked of children.

@Nature Rambles: Oh dear... poor baby :(

Brittanie said...

God bless you Cyren.

Good luck to the little ones. ♥